Today I bought a book called "Good Without God", written by a Humanist chaplain at Harvard University. Humanism is not really considered a religion, but is more like a lifestance. It is basically following good morals and trying to do your best for humanity, without believing in the supernatural.
I was a member of the McMaster Association of Secular Humanists in 2007-2008, and during that time I felt very secure about my disbelief and quite content. Lately, however, I have been feeling a longing for that sense of community that people in religions groups have... and a sense of greater purpose for my actions. Reading this book has been helpful so far. There are certain morals that are very important to me, such as being kind to humans and other animals alike, never intentionally causing pain to anyone, being faithful and loving to my spouse, etc. Even though I am not following these life rules of mine to impress a deity or to gain access to heaven, I am doing them to create happiness for those around me and to do my part to better humanity.
I heard about a group called the Unitarian Universalists a few years back, and I recently discovered that one of their churches is in my area. UUs can be of any religion, but they are about 50% humanists. I also do not feel that UU is a religion. At this church, they meet on Sundays, sing choir songs and talk about religion, but it is not actually preaching any religion. It is more like exploring many different religions and discussing current topics in each. I feel really excited to attend this "church" and get involved in that community.
No comments:
Post a Comment